WSET level 3 Award in Wines onlineFree
About this course
WSET level 3 Award in Wines online
You’re not available on day week or can’t join our campus? This advanced level programme online is designed for candidates wishing to get their own in-house online learning experience.
WSET Level 3 Award in wines is designed to give a thorough understanding of the principal still, sparkling and fortified wines of the world from the vine to the glass. Mixing theory and tasting experience, will make you confident when describing the characteristics of the principal wines of the world and give information on the key factors influencing style, quality and price.
On-line courses are available in English only. The course is based around a 9-week structured online programme with a recommendation of 10 hours study per week to cover the online activities and read the relevant chapters in the textbook. The course follows a weekly structure, regular access and participation in the course online activities is essential for this mode of study. Though there are no set times to log into the course as there are no live chats or webinars.
However, candidate must show at Bordeaux campus for siting the examination in-class.
You are active (working or unemployed) in France, and you wish to have your course financed within the framework of vocational training aid? This training can be financed through various means.
Syllabus 2022 – 2023
Week 1: Factors Affecting Style, Quality and Price of Wine
Learn about the principal natural and human factors in the vineyard and winery and how they influence the style, quality and price of wine.
Week 2: Tasting technique, Wine Laws and Service
- Learn to taste and describe wines using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting.
- Learn about the fundamental rules of wine labelling.
- Learn about the principals of food and wine pairing, storage and service of wine.
Weeks 3-5: Factors Affecting the Wine, Style and Quality of Wines from Europe
Learn about the natural and human factors in the vineyard and winery and how they influence the wine, style and quality in the key wine regions and districts of Europe (France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Greece).
Weeks 6-7: Factors Affecting the Wine, Style and Quality of Wines from the Rest of the World
Learn about the natural and human factors in the vineyard and winery and how they influence the wine, style and quality in the key wine regions of the rest of the world (USA, Canada, Chile, Argentina, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand).
Week 8: Sparkling and Fortified Wines
- Learn about the methods of production and the main styles of sparkling wines from the key wine producing countries (Champagne, Crémants, Cava, Sekt, Prosecco, Asti).
- Learn about the methods of production and the main styles of fortified wines from the key wine producing countries (Port, Sherry, Fortified Muscats).
Week 9: Revision & Resources
Revision exercises and a mock multiple-choice examination in preparation for the examinations.
Upon registration at a WSET Level 3 Award in wines qualification online, you’ll receive:
1/ a 9 weeks full-time access to the online classroom.
2/ a study pack essential to your preparation. It contains 3 items:
- The book «Understanding wines: explain style and quality» that covers the whole program. You must read the book before the course starts.This book is also considered as an “essential to wine knowledge” among the industry
- The « Study Guide », that contains good tips for the exam and precise vineyard maps that will help you in following the course
- Tasting sheet « Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine » which will be used during the course
Samples are not included in the training package (contact us for an official supplier)
Candidates will have to show at our Bordeaux campus for siting the exam in-class.
- Type: Theory and Practical assessments
- Theory: 50 MCQ + 4 short written answer questions
- Practical: Blind tasting of 2 wines
- Duration : 2h30
- Pass marks: 55% in each part
- Resit : possible
There are no upcoming events at this time